On average, it is estimated that the human body loses about two and a half percent of the total water daily. This amount increases if you are into some physical exercise or sports. To ensure that your body functions correctly, it is necessary to consume the recommended amount of water. Appropriate water consumption also ensures that your body does not get dehydrated and your heart and kidney remain healthy.
If you are experiencing frequent headaches, tiredness, and an inability to concentrate, consuming a sufficient amount of water can make a difference. Your body is constantly regulating temperature, and water can be of great help to maintain balance. Considering the facts, one should understand how water is essential for your body, and adding it to your routine can make you live a healthy and happy life.
How much is the actual recommended amount of water?
Roughly, a human body needs about one and a half to three liters of water daily, approximately six to eight glasses. If you are interested in understanding how much water your body needs, it depends on your weight and body size.
Guidelines to identify how much water you need to drink
- Body weight in kilograms x 0.033 = your daily requirement of water in liters.
- The best way to judge if you are consuming enough water is by keeping an eye on the color of your urine. The perfect color of urine is pale straw color. If that is the color of your urine, you are drinking a good amount of water. If your urine color is dark yellow, increasing water consumption shall be of great help.
Hot and cold beverages like tea, coffee, or fruit juices only add up to fluid intake and negatively impact your body’s health. Hence, it is better to drink plain water.
How to increase your water intake?
- Drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up.
- Drink water at regular intervals throughout the day.
- In case you are traveling or into sports, always have a bottle of water in your bag.
- Drink a glass of water after 1hour of every meal.
- If you are feeling thirsty, it means your body is already dehydrated. Hence it would be best if you did not wait to drink water till you are dehydrated.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are rich in water content. Make them a part of your meals.
- The ideal thing to do is to drink water which is at room temperature. If you drink cold water, it will remain in your stomach till it comes down to your body temperature and will then be absorbed.
It is a myth that if you are drinking beverages or anything other than water, it is as good as water. If we talk about coffee, it is a mild diuretic that makes your body lose more water. Hence, it won’t be wrong to say that there is nothing better than just plain water to keep yourself hydrated and healthy at all times.