Navratri festivities give you a chance to get back to the roots and deviate from the day-to-day affair.
Ingredients-like kuttu atta, singhara atta,fresh vegetables, milk, yogurt and makhanas are preferred as they are light on the stomach and can be digested easily. Instead of regular salt, rock salt or sendha namak is used as it is pure and unprocessed. Those who do not wish to fast may follow a vegetarian satvik diet where ingredients like garlic and onions that produce heat in the body are avoided to allow your body to detox.
Ingredients Of Sabudana Khichdi
- 1 Cup Sabudana (sago)
- 1/2 Cup Peanut (shelled and coarsely pounded), roasted
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Zeera (cumin seeds)
- 3-4 Sabut lal Mirch (whole dried red pepper)
- 1 sprig Kadhi patta (curry leaves)
- 2 tsp Sendha Namak (white rock salt)
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp Hara dhania (coriander leaves)
- 1 tsp Green chillies, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
How to Make Sabudana Khichdi
- Wash Saboodana till water clears. Soak in water to about 3 cm/ 1 1/2″ above it, for about an hour.
Colander Stainless Steel
- Drain in a colander, then spread over a thick cloth for about 1 hour. It is important for the water to drain out very well, as other wise when cooked, the sabudana will stick together in lumps.
- Mix saboodana, peanuts, salt, and chilli powder very well, so that it is coated well with this mixture.
Lava Mixing Bowl
- Heat the ghee and add zeera, lal mirch and kadhi patta. When mirch darkens a bit, add saboodana mixture and turn around over low heat till cooked through. Takes a couple of minutes.
rockline Non Stick Kadhai
- Take it off the heat, add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve garnished with the hara dhania and the green chillies.
Kuttu Ka Dosa
How to Make Kuttu Ka Dosa
Prepare the Potato filling:
- Heat ghee in a pan, crush the potatoes into it and mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss the potato mixture around for a few minutes till it becomes light brown in colour.
- Take it out and keep aside.
Prepare the Dosa:
- In a bowl, mash the arbi and mix it with the flour and salt.
- Add some water and mix well.
- Add the ajwain, red chilli powder, ginger and green chillies and mix again.
- Keep adding water and stirring in one direction till the batter turns into a smooth flowing consistency.
- Heat a flat pan, dab a bit of ghee on it, pour a ladle of the batter and spread it.
- Cook for a few minutes and spread more ghee around the edges to make it crisp.
- Now flip it over and cook the other side.
- Now put some filling on top and fold the dosa over it.
- Serve hot with mint and coconut chutney.
Aloo Ki Kadhi
Ingredients Of Aloo Ki Kadhi
- 1/2 Kg Potatoes (peeled& mashed smooth), boiled
- 2 tsp Rock salt
- 1/4 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 Cup Singhare ka atta
- For deep-frying Oil
- 1/2 Cup Sour yogurt
- 1 sprig Curry leaf
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 Whole red chillies
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 4 Cups Water
- For garnishing Coriander leaves
How to Make Aloo ki Kadhi
- Mix the potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, chilli powder and singhare ka atta into a thick batter.
- Put aside 1/4 of the mixture and the rest will be made into pakoris.
- Heat oil till a drop of batter dropped in comes up at once.
- Drop spoonfuls into oil, lower the flame and fry to a golden colour.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Add the yogurt to the remaining mixture, make a smooth paste and mix in water.
- In a heavy-based pan, reheat 2 tbsp of the same oil, add curry leaves, cumin seeds and whole red chillies.
- When slightly darkened, add ginger and sauté a little.
- Add the yogurt mixture, salt and coriander powder and bring to a boil and then simmer over low flame till it thickens a bit; stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
- Add the pakoris, simmer a couple of minutes more and serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.
Low Fat Makhana Kheer
Ingredients Of Low Fat Makhana Kheer
- 1 Litre Milk
- 1/4 Cup Makhana (puffed lotus seeds)
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Pistachios, chopped
- 2 tsp Almonds, chopped
- 1 tsp Green cardamom powder (optional)
How to Make Low Fat Makhana Kheer
- In a deep vessel, pour in the milk, break the makhanas into smaller pieces, add them to the milk and let it simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours without covering, till the milk boils down and the seeds are soft.
Colored Stainless Steel Sauce Pan
- Add the sugar and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the pistachios, almonds and cardamom powder, stir well again.
- Serve hot or cold, as you like.
Vrat Wale Paneer Rolls
Ingredients Of Vrat wale Paneer Rolls
- 2 Potato, boiled
- 2 Cups Paneer, mashed
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Sendha Namak
- 7-8 Raisins
- 1 tsp Black Powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- A pinch of Nutmeg
- 2 tsp Coriander leaves
- 2 tsp Ghee
How to Make Vratwale Paneer Rolls
- Take boiled potato and paneer in a bowl together.
- Add green chilli and ginger to it.
- Mix them well.
- Add cumin powder, sendha namak, raisins, black pepper, cardamom powder, nutmeg and coriander leaves.
- Mix the ingredients well and make a dough.
- Make rolls out of the dough.
- Now take ghee in a pan and put the rolls in it to fry pan.
- Fry till the rolls get golden brown.
- Serve hot.