Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 people
This is a very healthy and filling recipe. Here we have used chana dal stuffing in the idli. This can be a great breakfast and can also be the right appetizer with tea or coffee. This can also be served with chutney.
- 1 cup coarse sooji (Rava)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup yogurt (dahi, curd)
- 3/4 cup water (as needed)
- 1 tsp ENO (fruit salt)
- 1/2 cup chana dal (bangal gram)
- 1/2 cup potato (boiled and cut into small cubes)
- 2 Tbsp green chilies (chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger (shreddded)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp dry mango powder (amchoor)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 tsp hing
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- You need to soak the daal for about 3 hours and drain it in water.
Kitchen Food Strainer
- Now take all the stuffing mix apart from potatoes and grind them well to make a paste. The stuffing should be a little moist. Then add potatoes to it too. Keep this aside.
Ultimate Series Kitchen Tool
- Then take a mixing bowl, start adding sooji, salt, yogurt and water. Set this aside for about 30 minutes.
- Now to make stuffed idli, grease the idli plate. Ten add fruit salt to the batter and then mix well. The mixture will start foaming, as soon as it does that, pour in the idli trays.
- Then pour about 1 tablespoon of batter and then spread it evenly then add 2 tbsp of masala and pour over about 1 tbsp idly batter covering the filling. Repeat this process for all idlis. Then place the stand in the steam pot.
- Now cover the pot and then steam idles for about 10-12 minutes on medium heat. Check if the idli is done, if it is then remove it fro the pot. Make sure that you do not overcook this as they loose their softness.
- Then cool them for a few minutes, so that we take them off easily.
- Masala Idlis are ready to be served.